Doug Ford Pledges to Bring Jobs Back to OntarioPublished on April 19, 2018
Coburg — Doug Ford today visited a small manufacturing facility in Cobourg, Ontario where he announced the fourth of his five priorities in his Plan For the People of Ontario. Ford committed that an Ontario PC Government will take immediate action to Create Good Jobs, including bringing manufacturing jobs back to Ontario.
“There is no secret to creating good jobs in Ontario,” said Ford. “It all starts with lower taxes, cutting red tape and regulations, and reducing hydro bills for everyone. We need to attract businesses to Ontario, not drive them away as Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals have done.”
As part of its measures, and in order to stay competitive with neighbouring jurisdictions, the Ontario PCs have pledged to cut corporate income taxes from 11.5% to 10.5% and enable businesses to create good paying jobs and attract businesses back to Ontario. Ford highlighted how, under Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals, Ontario has lost over 300,000 well-paying manufacturing jobs.
“These were good jobs with good benefits that gave families a good quality of life,” said Ford. “Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals have decimated Ontario's once vibrant manufacturing economy and shipped jobs and manufacturing overseas. We have a plan that will stop more businesses from leaving and get our jobs back.”
Backgrounder – Creating Good Jobs:
April 18th, 2018
The Liberals are chasing jobs out of Ontario
- Ontario has lost more than 300,000 good paying manufacturing jobs since the Liberals took power in 2003.
- The Liberals have caused job losses for many reasons, including uncompetitive hydro rates. Our Class B industrial rates (most medium sized business) are the worst in Canada and uncompetitive with most of our American neighbours and our Class A industrial rates (large manufacturers) are not much better.
- Despite bleeding jobs to other jurisdictions, the Liberals nonetheless decided to break their promise to reduce taxes on businesses by forcing Ontario employers to continue to pay an 11.5% tax rate.
- All the while, Kathleen Wynne continues to pile on red tape and stifling regulations with more than 380,000 regulatory requirements in Ontario – almost double that of NDP-led British Columbia!
- Whether its red tape, uncompetitive taxes or hydro rates, Kathleen Wynne and the Liberals are making it harder for businesses to create good jobs and employ hard working Ontarians.
How We Will Fix It:
- A Doug Ford Ontario PC Government will:
- Stabilize industrial hydro rates through a package of aggressive reforms
- Cut corporate income taxes from 11.5% to 10.5% to stay competitive with our neighbours and enable businesses to create good paying jobs
- Cut red tape and stifling regulations to enable investment and good job growth
- Together, these policies will enable businesses to create good jobs, bring stability to existing workers, and employ hard-working Ontarians looking for work.
 CANSIM table 282-0008